NIOSH states that the three most common types of injuries occur when: A forklift overturns; workers are struck, crushed, or pinned by a forklift; and workers fall from a forklift. With proper education and guidance from employers, the following accidents could have been prevented.
What is the most common cause of forklift accidents?
The main reason for Forklift accidents is the lack of proper Forklift Training and lack of Forklift Certification given by the Company. There are still many companies allowing Forklift Operators drive the equipment without a Forklift License or a proper Forklift Training.
What are the 4 main causes of forklift injuries?
4 Common Causes of Forklift Operator Injury or Death
- Lift trucks are inadvertently driven off loading docks.
- Lifts fall between docks and an unsecured trailer while a worker in onboard.
- Workers (or pedestrians) can be struck by a lift truck.
- Trucks may fall while on elevated pallets and tines.
What accidents could occur with the use of a forklift truck?
Nearly all incidents involving forklifts can be broken down into one of four categories: Collisions.
2. Forklift Overturns
- Improper turning.
- Driving with an elevated load.
- Driving at excessive speed.
- Turning, stopping, or giving the lift truck gas too quickly.
- Driving on an incline.
- Driving on uneven or wet surfaces.
How common are forklift accidents?
Forklifts account for around 85 deaths every year. Forklift accidents that result in serious injury total 34,900 annually. Non-serious injuries related to forklift accidents reach 61,800 each year. A forklift overturning is the most common incident, accounting for 24% of all forklift accidents.
What is the number 1 cause of lift truck accidents?
However, the statistics show that the greatest hazard is being crushed when the forklift tips over. According to OSHA in the United States, 70% of forklift accidents could have been avoided with standardized training and safety procedures.
Why are forklifts dangerous?
There are many factors that explain why forklifts are dangerous: Forklifts are heavy. … The weight of a forklift is unevenly distributed, which makes it harder to operate and drive. The rear wheels of a forklift are responsible for turning the vehicle, increasing the chances of tipping during tight turns.
What causes forklift turnover?
Excessive speed (especially around corners), carrying loads at an unsafe height or driving with too heavy or a poorly balanced load can all make a forklift turn over. … Then there are factors like horsing around, carrying passengers or stunt driving that can lead to overturns and other forklift accidents.
What are 2 main causes of injuries when using forklifts?
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) says many workers are also injured when:
- Forklifts are inadvertently driven off loading docks.
- Forklifts fall between docks and unsecured trailers.
- Workers are struck by forklifts.
- Workers fall from elevated pallets and/or the platform of a forklift.
What is a forklift hazard?
Forklift hazards often occur when there is a change of balance for the vehicle. Lifting materials up high can cause the machine to overturn or for its load to fall. … If your warehouse forklift has to lift workers at any time, ensure that the correct attachments are used to reduce the risk of a fall or other injuries.
How many forklifts died in 2019?
Forklift-related injuries are also cross-categorized by event type, most often as either a transportation incident or contact with object or equipment incident. Forklifts were the source of 79 work-related deaths and 8,140 nonfatal injuries involving days away from work in 2019.
How do you avoid forklift damage?
Follow these 5 tips for preventing damage to your forks:
- Protect the heel. …
- Don’t use your forks for anything other than lifting. …
- Don’t lift loads that exceed your forklift’s maximum capacity. …
- Don’t let your forks hit the ground. …
- Use both forks, always.
How can I improve my forklift safety?
Here are the most essential tips for forklift safety.
- Get Forklift Certification. …
- Wear Proper Clothing. …
- Know the Forklift Class. …
- Inspect the Equipment Daily. …
- Maintain 360° Visibility. …
- Implement a Floor Marking System. …
- Maintain Equipment Capacity. …
- Never Carry Extra People.
What is the number one type of serious forklift accident?
The most common type of lift truck accident is one of the most fatal: being crushed by a lift truck. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says that most fatal lift truck accidents happen when a worker is crushed by a forklift overturns or falls from a loading dock.
What is the most common type of forklift?
The Counterbalance is the most common type of forklift. This type of lift has its forks at the front of the machine and is designed with a weight in the back to offset or counter the balance of the load on the front.